My first stop is a pretty small one… I never knew that learning gardens have been popping up all over universities over the past few years! This is the first time I’ve seen this concept, so I didn’t expect this to be so widespread (definitely glad that it is, and I wish I had this in high school). My biggest stop is the statement of showing respect for living ecosystems as co-teachers, which relates to my own beliefs and studies. Throughout my undergrad as a biology major (and math minor, that’s how I am here hahaha), I loved learning about ecology! I have always been fascinated by the relationships between organisms and nature, and how every creature on this planet can be interconnected somehow. Learning in a garden has made me appreciate nature way more than I have been in school. It is also interesting to see that the first thing that planners think of are the plastic chairs, metal sound systems, and rubber electrical wires. It feels like technology and human-made objects are so intertwined with our lives, and we are becoming more disconnected with nature. It is sad to see that land has become a motivation for profit rather than part of nature, but by connecting with our lands like this, I have high hopes of creating a future generation that understands the value of nature beyond corporate greed.
In terms of teaching math in the garden, I would love to do the “harder” topics, such as calculus and probability (it might be easy for other people, but I am VERY BAD at probability). The biggest value I see in the garden is the whole nature aspect, and how there are always things to look at in the garden. I remember getting so excited when we saw the hummingbird in the garden, so I want to have that experience as well with my students. I want to be able to share random animal facts while covering difficult topics, to loosen the stress that the students must be feeling. Garden learning will also be quite valuable to students with exceptionalities, since there are always things happening in nature, the more restless folks will get a chance to let off steam. The main struggle I see is to get all 30 students outside while keeping an eye on them. And of course, the weather and carrying out the supplies will be a huge hustle as well. However, I think it’ll be fun for the students to carry all of those things with me. This will be a small cooperative task for all of us, and make them feel included as well. Now, the only struggle is the Raincouver weather, so I will be enjoying the garden whenever I can!
No comments:
Post a Comment