That was so fun!! Too bad I didn’t take any pictures, but I had a lot of fun just weaving two strands of fibre back and forth. It’s very relaxing, but feels very productive since I am getting something out of it. Like I mentioned in class, I think that this is a very good activity for folks who have ADHD, or just fidgety in general. It helps them be productive while connecting with the indigenous practices in some ways. When I kept learning about how the new BC curriculum incorporates indigenous knowledge into the material, I didn’t know how to go about it. But it is very interesting to see weaving and knotting techniques still being passed down. In terms of learning math, I can see my students weaving patterns with different colours to visualize concepts like fractions, number theory, or even algorithms. I am so excited to see the creativity of my students, since math is definitely one of those subjects seen as the “boring” and “non-creative” ones. There is so much amazing indigenous art out there that students can use to engage in their creative brain, and to be honest, I want to learn more as well. I am personally not someone who connect with the indigenous culture, but by doing projects like those, I find myself getting more involved. The math art decorations in the classroom are super cute, makes me feel at home, yet in a professional classroom, so it would be very fun to have my classroom decked out like that too. So the main takeaway here is that even though I am still not very familiar with incorporating indigenous knowledge into math, this makes me excited to learn! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Course Reflection
Another of the those fun courses I've taken this semester! This is the course that I have learned the most from, as we did so many diffe...
-
https://youtu.be/P4Fig4NqF6c?si=Jrvsp6Ro-lDI59jZ Bazett, T. (2022). YouTube. https://youtu.be/P4Fig4NqF6c?si=Jrvsp6Ro-lDI59jZ This is a You...
-
The topic of cheating as fascinated me ever since Kevin mentioned it in our EDCP 441 class! So for my inquiry project, I was really surprise...
-
Grades are such an interesting topic, on one hand, students are motivated by grades, but on the other hand, they are motivated because they ...
No comments:
Post a Comment