Friday, September 6, 2024

Class 1 (Sep. 5) Exit Slip

The idea that struck to me the most from McCourt’s interview was that the teacher is always learning. It is inspirational to think that just like the students, the teacher is always learning with them, just like any regular human would. I found the text interview with McCourt especially insightful, when he mentioned a little girl he taught told him to “chill out.” From my teaching experiences, I have always tried to not take things too seriously, and to let go of being overly controlling. So it is reassuring to see that even someone like McCourt learned that too. I agree that honesty is one of the most important qualities of a teacher, since students, like the ones that McCourt taught, can see right through us if we are wearing a mask. It’s also humbling to see that even role models like him had to start somewhere and learn from scratch, which makes our own teaching journey quite relatable. Of course, this leaves me with the question of how much chilling out is too much? I would want to be that “chill math teacher,” but the grey area of boundaries and authorities do worry me. That’s why I am here to learn like everyone else I guess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Course Reflection

Another of the those fun courses I've taken this semester! This is the course that I have learned the most from, as we did so many diffe...